Sunday, May 2, 2010

I have been reading ALOT these past few weeks about Animal cruelty and it is breaking my heart. It all started with my buying an Oil of Olay lotion and Craig said, "Didnt you know they test on animals?"
Well, the floodgates opened up and I started researching companies that animal test and started to change what products I buy. Its a long process, but in the end it will be worth it, even though it is much more expensive to buy cruelty-free products.

Next, I started to peek at animal cruelty in the food industry. I have always NOT allowed my mind to "go there."

I would always think to myself, "Well, I only eat chicken and turkey and fish for protein....Im not that bad....once in a while I have steak...no big deal, right?"

I'd also think, "Eh, its just easier to eat meat. I dont have to deal with answering to anyone at the dinner table (my parents or Craig's parents) and its less of a hassle if we go out to eat." Ive tried to become a vegetarian once in college, and was told I was "nuts" by my parents. Um...ok.

But now, as I am getting older, I realize the only person I need to please is ME. I have now allowed myself to "go there" in my mind by reading articles about what truly happens in the factory farms. Yes, even the chickens and turkeys :( It breaks my heart to know that. I cannot allow myself to watch any videos. I saw FIVE SECONDS of one on mccruelty.com (about the conditions at McDonalds chicken farms) and I nearly threw up. Just seeing the poor little guy hanging from his feet with blood splattered on the metal below him - a terrified look on his face was enough to get me started thinking about making the change to vegetarianism. Right now, I am in the education phase. Reading as much as I can, not turning a blind eye anymore. I still am eating meat - hell, I had steak and chicken at breakfast this morning at the Brazilian BBQ we went to for a friend's birthday- but as I eat, I am now THINKING....

Luckily Craig is on board with my interest. Just this morning he joked, "I'd better enjoy this now in case I am going to be vegetarian sometime in the next few weeks." I know he would support what I do. I know he would PROBABLY still want to enjoy a steak dinner sometimes - especially if he is out with friends. So that leads me to what might be 'dumb' questions.....

~How do I deal with living with someone who may still want to eat meat? Do I buy it FOR him but just not eat it myself?

~Is it harder to cook non-meat recipes? Does it take more prep time if I am busy one night?

~Will I also end up cutting out cheese and eggs and milk? I don't think I could do that right away, but maybe gradually once I get used to the no meat thing? What would I drink with my cereal? I've read articles about how Soy milk is bad for you too.

~How do I deal with my parents or Craig's? They ALWAYS have meat at dinners (Xmas, etc)

~Will this be too hard?

So many things to think about. I'm wondering if its possible for an almost 40- year old meat eater to successfully make the switch...I guess we shall see...right now = research time.

No comments:

Post a Comment